For many people, just the thought of public speaking makes them quake in their boots. However, here are some simple keys that can ensure that you will have a successful presentation.
If you employ the following tips you have fun, relax and be a star!
- Know what you want to say: focus on the main concepts you wish to impart, develop them clearly, and provide examples to illustrate those key concepts.
- Believe passionately in what you are saying: if you do not believe in what you are telling your audience they will not find you convincing, may not believe you, and may not become engaged in your presentation.
- Be convincing: be sure to choose language and examples that will resonate with your particular audience.
- Be compelling: vary your pace, format, and voice volume to retain the attention of your audience.
- Provide valuable, usable & timely information: if you are sharing beneficial concepts and ideas your audience will be appreciative of your expertise, however, do be sure that any data you are presenting is up to date.
- Be yourself: a natural, comfortable speaking style will make your audience relaxed, creating an atmosphere more conducive to retentive learning.
- Keep your eyes on your audience: make direct eye contact with as many attendees as you can, so that those individuals will feel you are speaking directly to them….you will be more likely to retain their attention using this technique.
- Practice, Practice, Practice!! The best presenters practice the most…the more familiar you are with your material, the more confident you will feel and the more convincing and engaging you will be.
Public speaking can actually be fun, but without proper preparation, it is very difficult to be effective. Hone your personal style, wear a smile, and just “fake it ‘til you make it!” If you are having fun, your audience will be more likely to have fun as well.