The purpose of performance management is to enable individuals to perform at their best under all circumstances. An individuals performance is never really static, there is a continuum. The goal is to drive performance to the positive end of the spectrum and it is the approach that will determine the effectiveness.
As an HR professional, I have trained and coached hundreds of leaders in the art of performance management from the day-to-day leadership, reviews, corrective actions, and terminations of their direct reports. My approach is not only effective but simple when applied consistently.
1. Set clear expectations and gain an understanding of the employee of what is expected and what happens if expectations are not met.
2. Communicate on a regular and consistent basis. I encourage leaders to have one on ones with their employees so the employee has the opportunity to bring forth any roadblocks or challenges.
3. Address problems right away. There should be no surprises when it comes to individual performance and it is much easier to correct course early than it is later.
4. Hold individuals accountable. If clear expectations have been set it is much easier than if they have not.
5. Documentation is everything, always follow-up with the individual in writing so you have a record of what was discussed. This will make things much easier if things don’t improve.
6. Follow the process, especially when it comes to corrective action, don’t skip steps unless it is warranted.
7. Don’t make it personal. There is no reason to ever raise your voice or make a judgment about the person’s character. Keep in mind that the goal is to improve performance.
When done correctly performance management can turn a situation around and protect you if things don’t work out. The key is to remember that the purpose of performance management is to achieve consistent long-term engagement and optimal performance.
In the midst of a world where so many are disengaged, cynical and apathetic, isn’t it time for some fresh air? Isn't it time to join together in building a refreshing, new community founded upon “real” relationships, “real” thought leadership, and “authentic” engagement? NO Clutter. NO Spam. NO NO Fees. NO Promotions. NO Kidding. SIMPLY Pure Engagement Unplugged. ☕️ CLICK TO GRAB YOUR SEAT IN OUR NEW ENGAGE CAFÉ ☕️