From a severely abused foster child to an award-winning foster/adoptive parent of 6 remarkable children. I was asked to put together my first presentation for the National Foster Parent Association (NFPA) for their conference this year. I knew I had the material to do this but was terrified about how I was going to craft the story. No boring PowerPoints, just some connected human conversations with some remarkable people I never thought my journey would lead me to.
1. Size Matters as it’s those little things that get us to the next spot on the ladder of life.
2. Know what your limitations are before becoming a resource for a child.
3. Chaos breeds success.
4. Your life is not defined by your successes, it’s defined by your failures and what you’ve learned from them.
5. At the end of the day, we all just want to be heard.
6. Just show up, it’s that easy.
7. Writing your living epitaph is so powerful to bring your purpose – “Here lies a man that learned to reciprocate kindness by failing often.”