How much time do you spend picking out your clothes? Do focus on coordinating your outfits or do you grab what is quick and comfortable?
What You Wear Matters
Studies have proven that a person’s dress affects how others perceive them, but how do we ensure we are putting on the right pieces of clothing? Believe it or not, the scriptures have some guidance for us on this question.
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Colossians 3:12-14
Putting On A Godly Wardrobe
In your journey of servant leadership this is outstanding guidance for what you should be wearing. Adorning yourself with these clothes will build relationships beyond normal and allow you to collectively achieve great things in this world.
- Compassion – work to go the extra mile to understand what people are dealing with and help them in whatever way you can. A listening ear, a calming voice, or a helping hand all go a long way!
- Kindness – be present enough in people’s life to see their accomplishments and recognize their great work. Say please and thank you.
- Humility – have an attitude that you can always learn more from others. Be curious, not pretentious. Be competent not arrogant.
- Gentleness – place your strength under God’s guidance. Be polite and show self-control not anger and revenge.
- Patience – have the endurance to persevere through challenges and difficulties. Stay focused on your purpose and God’s will for your life.
- Forgiveness – be willing to release or dismiss the times you have been wronged. Follow Jesus’ example and forgive as he as forgiven us. Also be quick to apologize and ask for forgiveness when you have done wrong.
- Love – above all else, love others, as you would like to be loved! As it says in Colossians, this binds it all together in unity.
What articles of servant leadership clothing should you add to your wardrobe?
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23