Sometimes we don’t ask for fear the answer will be “no.”
Whether it’s asking for the sale, a referral, a raise, or a date, one of the first roadblocks for many sales pros (or anyone!) is a fear of rejection. To avoid it, you may find yourself coming up with creative ways to put it off.
I can’t do that- I have to finish this post, this paperwork, this graph _____ (fill in the blank with your preferred procrastination technique).
If working from home- it might even be “I have to do the dishes” You know it’s bad if you’d rather do dishes!!
There are many strategies I offer my clients that can help them overcome this struggle. But I’ll give you one of my favorites right now. SHIFT your BELIEF about rejection.
Our beliefs guide our thoughts and actions. Start to consider what beliefs may cause you to procrastinate or not take action at all.
- Do you believe that rejection is bad? That if someone tells you “no” it is a personal affront?
- Do you have an underlying belief that others perceive sales as negative?
- Are you not confident that you’ll be able to fulfill a promise you made?
What if you took the time to understand, release an unhelpful belief, and replace it with a new one??
- I will seek “NO” today because it will get me closer to “YES”
- I will ask for the sale because I know I have a product of value and if I don’t ask, I’m doing that prospect a disservice.
- I look forward to hearing “NO”, because it’s infinitely better than being ghosted! And I’ll be able to spend more time finding and serving clients that really need and want my service.
When you become aware of and release beliefs that don’t serve you, you create space for ones that are more effective and more fun…so SEEK NO!