by Katrina Collier, Featured Contributor
SOME WEEKS BACK an update appeared in my LinkedIn news feed that said:
I am finding more and more often that people are overstepping professional boundaries, finding my personal social media and sending me inappropriate messages.
None of us like to be on the receiving end of inappropriate behaviour and I in no way condone it. Yet, I was surprised that this person hadn’t realised it was due in part to their sexy-selfie profile pic.
What message is your profile picture sending? Would you work for you? Would you hire you?
Back in 2012, I came across this great post by redcanary, Is Your LinkedIn Photo Revealing More Than Just Your… Assets? and simply love their 5 tips:
- Would your mom have the picture framed in her house? If yes, you’re probably in the clear.
- Are you holding a mysterious drink? I hope you’re a bartender!
- Does the picture really look like you? It’s great that you can Photoshop yourself into looking like Angelina Jolie but a contact might be surprised when she doesn’t show up for the meeting (and a little disappointed).
- How much skin are you showing? If you could catch a cold you might want to grab a sweater.
- What’s going on behind you? Bars and party pics can be prone to incriminating photo bombs so watch your back – this photobomb will cost you!
To these, 5 of my own (I see all too regularly)…
- In real life, do you look like a logo? No? Then come out from hiding!
- Did you take the pic using your webcam and is it angled up your nose?
- Are you wearing your sunglasses inside?
- Are you a lifesaver? No. No speedos and beach then, sorry.
- Did you attempt to cut the person next to you out of the pic?
When it’s time to update your picture, if you’ve forgotten where else you’ve used it, carry out a Google image search. If using Chrome, simply right click and select search Google for this Image. In other browsers, save the photo and upload it to a Google Image search.
Some great posts to help further:
- What does your profile picture say about you? a great guest post
- 8 Profile Picture Rules Every Professional Should Follow from Business Insider
How to Take a Great Social Media Profile Picture in 4 Easy Steps by Digital Photography School
What’s the worst or best profile pic you’ve seen and why?
Editors Note: This Article was originally featured on Winning Impression