I start with a simple question for the readers. What color is rare in nature? Surprisingly, it is the color blue. Watch the video to understand more why blue color is rare in nature and why you rarely find blue-colored animals or plants.
The few cases in which we find blue animals or plants are not due to their having pigment to color them blue. The blue color we see is due to the structure that only allows blue light to reflect our eyes.
My curiosity to explore this topic in more depth led me to think of different topics such as:
- Common phrases that we use to describe people or moods with blue color
- Six Thinking Hats with one hat colored blue
- Blue minds and if they are rare in our world
- Blue-collars employees, and
- Blue and Red ocean strategies
Common Phrases with the Word Blue
- Monday Blues– the feelings that accompany going to work following the weekend.
- Out of the blue– events that happen unexpectedly
- Feeling Blue– to express feelings of anxiety and depression prevailing
- Once in a Blue Moon– describes rare events
- Running around Like a Blue Fly– refers to multitasking at a time, and
- Many more…
You may notice from the above that the blue color is associated with negative feelings and states of feeling down. This is contrasting with having a Blue Mind.
Is having Blue Mind better than Red Mind? When you go into clean blue water it charges you with calmness and you feel relaxed. You feel your mind turned blue. This is the theme of the book Blue Mind by Wallace J. Nichols. Having a red mind means having an anxious and troubled mind.
The above discussion brings me to the topic of Six-Thinking Hats by the late Edward de Borno. The blue here refers to reasoning thinking whereas the red hat refers to love and thinking in a state of passion.
The Blue Ocean Strategy is placing the company in the quiet and calm waters away from the Read Ocean with its bloody competition.
The Blue-collar workers are the hard-working employees who earn less than employees with white collars.
It amazes me how humans attribute different traits to the same color. Humans do the same with many issues.
Do you have blue eyes? What do they tell you?