I have seen a sign at a health club that says, “The greatest gift that you can give your family is your own health”. As a servant leader it is also the greatest gift that you can give your team as well.
I am a great believer in “extreme self-care” to enable leaders to be fully present and deliver peak performance in all situations to those they serve. Extreme self-care for the servant leader is not only a matter of the body, but of the mind, and spirit as well.
It is important to focus on all of these areas. Leading a fully engaged life begins with a multi-coordinated focus on your life’s worth.
- Relationships matter more than anything – This 75-Year Harvard Study Found the 1 Secret to Leading a Fulfilling Life.
- Health determines the quality of your life – Exercise / Nutrition / Rest
- Work gives voice to your giftedness – Live in your strengths
- Hobbies engage your energy beyond work – Take time to enjoy things away from work
- Learning animates your imagination – Have a passion for personal development
- Faith gives your life purpose – Allow Jesus to guide your way
Each of theses areas requires intentional focus to nurture at the highest level. This is easier said than done. You have a great deal on your plate between your personal, family, and work obligations, so finding time to properly care for these key areas of extreme self care can be challenging.
But here is the deal. We all have the exact same amount of time. You have 24 hours to use everyday. How you utilize that 24, is an indication of your priorities. You must prioritize and carve out time for initiatives to insure you are taking care of yourself.
Build a plan to accomplish your extreme self care initiatives:
- Document your ideal state (Vision) in each of these key areas of self-care.
- Assess the gap between your Vision and your current reality in each area
- Set short term and long term goals to move you from your current reality to your Vision
- Bring a coach or an accountability partner into your life to help you insure you achieve results on your goals
- Celebrate your successes of progress on a consistent basis
So what are you waiting for? The longer you put off this important work, the further behind you are falling on your self-care initiatives. Make a commitment to build your Extreme Self Care Vision, as well as bringing in an accountability partner. It will be the start of giving your family and co-workers a great gift!
A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own toil. This too, I see, is from the hand of God. Ecclesiastes 2:24