As time is rapidly approaching for my TEDx Arena Circle talk on September 25th in addition to Global Leadership and Collaborative Economy I Just Say It conference with a keynote and breakout session on November 1st through 4th, I as started to receive a lot of questions about leadership, transformation, and impact.
But more than anything a question that keeps coming back is “what does it take today to be a great leader?”
These thought-provoking questions indeed require a thoughtful answer. The following are eight ways to unlock higher leadership potential by being:
- Accountable – Though everyone wants to be a leader, very few are ready or prepared to accept or do the level of accountability that goes with it. It is essential to have a strong sense of accountability or responsibility for your actions, both good and bad, to further develop as a leader. Further, it is essential to keep an eye on people around you so that their level of fear or lack of accountability do not negatively affect your decisions later.
Never let someone’s fear dictate your decision!
- Bold – A bold leadership consists of the leaders that are willing to go the extra mile and venture further than anyone else to uncharted territories. I can’t agree more with Joseph Folkman and Jack Zenger about their bold leadership definition and traits supported with extensive research and study of leadership behaviors (http://www.forbes.com/sites/joefolkman/2015/06/18/bold-leadership-the-4-steps-that-take-leaders-to-another-level/#6e17e5591382), including their four-step process to take leaders to the next level. How many of the four steps are you willing to take?
Never apologize for your strengths – own them with integrity!
- Coachable – To tap into a maximum of your potential and continue to grow exponentially, you cannot always get there alone or with people that are in similar place as you. You will need a successful, accomplished, and knowledgeable coach to get you quickly and more efficiently to where you want to be. And that can be accomplished through a coachable, teachable process and our willingness to learn new things in a new way.
Focus on people that inspire and motivate you to reach your goal!
Let go of ones that distract you and drain you!
- Curious – To continue to explore, learn, ask questions is essential for leaders to develop further, especially as they get more life and business experience. This mindset alone will allow any leader to be more nimble, innovative, and offer creative solutions.
Through eyes full of wonder, everything is possible!
- Committed – To yourself as well as others, to be the best you can be, and to accomplish goals that you set for yourself! Nothing great can be achieved without commitment and then work or effort put in. A level of commitment shows in everything we do; the key is to reflect on what we want and desire.
Trough commitment you can improve, inspire and impact!
- Driven – By things that matter and that can indeed make a difference. Drive for results, for a positive outcome, for a solution for most complex issues – the list goes on! You get the picture – it has to come to you and has to be self-sustainable, especially during challenging times when many of us are ready to give up or do nothing.
In moments of defeat, you discover the boundary of your magnitude!
- Engaged – Getting emotionally invested is the key to success in anything we do as an individual contributor. When we combine genuinely engaging with others with actively listening and sharing information, what we have access to can expand beyond our imagination.
Leadership through success is evident through emotionally invested people!
- Passionate – Leaders with passion make things happen! This is such an important trait to have and further develop – especially when it comes to influencing others and making the most impact in teams. Don’t mistake passionate leaders as loud; in fact, passionate leaders are thoughtful and very deep. Their actions and work create the tremendous success, and their success is what makes all the noise for them.
Passion elevates the visibility of your work!
Are you ready to Unlock Your Leadership “High Performance Impact”? Join me at the I Just Say It global leadership and collaborative conference and save (Promo code: IL2016). Game On Champions!!!
If you enjoyed this article, please share your comments and thoughts with others in the comment section blow.
Leave a legacy, a legacy that matters!
Be a legend, your legendary way!