by Izabela Lundberg, Columnist & Featured Contributor
[su_dropcap style=”flat”]C[/su_dropcap]AN’T HELP BUT TO CHUCKLE when talking with glocal (local, global and virtual) friends and colleagues about changes around us that each one of us may see from a different perspective, yet arrive at the same place. One of those “hot spots” is high performing, or lack of performing, expectations, definitions, discussions or assumptions. I am sure you have experienced that too, especially at work. To some, concepts around high performance may still appear abstract as we come across them along our paths in life or business, especially around high performers with impact.
Just because someone’s appearance or delivery may be slightly different, it doesn’t mean it is insufficient, wrong or poor. Some people are playing or writing with a left hand, wearing their traditional clothes, having an accent, or use a slightly different vocabulary, they should not be considered as less capable in business or sports. There can be a level of frustration or impatience because more focus may be needed to work or play in diverse teams and this may hinder recognizing and optimizing the high performers that you have on your team.
The fact is, more we are open in diverse or unique delivery, allowing our selves to step out of our own comfort zone, and get armed with new perspectives, we will find new powerful solutions faster. Creating space for everyone to participate will allow us to recognize the quality traits of the team members as well as the overall team. One of these team members may be the hidden gem that cannot only saves a game or day, but a whole season or fiscal year.
But what should we look at, to insure that we don’t make mistakes while conducting a hunt for high performers who have the potential for tremendous impact?
Let’s take a quick look at the following traits: [message type=”custom” width=”100%” start_color=”#F0F0F0 ” end_color=”#F0F0F0 ” border=”#BBBBBB” color=”#333333″]
- Daily Performance Pros – The daily method of operation (DMO) is the same shine or rain, Saturday or Sunday! They are always prioritizing while working with significant effort on themselves, their work or anything else they or someone else needs in personal and professional life. They just show up ready to rock & role!
- IQ & EQ Masters – This is the new horsepower that can move mountains, very fast. These people are Quick to learn, adopt, engage fully with the best ideas. We need to make sure that we have the right tools ready and room for organizational and team growth and improvement. Otherwise, you will lose them if they are feeling suffocated and not allowed to make needed and desirable change within the team and organization. No jerk mentality and ego-tripping games!
- Learning & Teaching Agility Gurus – Yes, they are life long learners, early adopters and big thinkers. They can be technically savvy too. But they revolutionize their work like no others. If we are paying closer attention, we could spot them miles away. Just let’s don’t let me atrophy in “let it be” environments!
- High Impact Producers – Effective problem solving and decision making is just the beginning of their capabilities. We may want to make sure that they play the best position in the house or on the team. Why? They are leaders of the pack! And the best of all they are super cool under pressure.
- Powerhouse Influencers – They may surprise us with a falling-off-the-chair moment, with their brilliant presence, charisma and being just hard to turn down. But they truly have a genuine desire for input by their peers and leadership teams while they are still ready to make at any given time fearless decisions. Don’t mistake their asking as not knowing!
- People Champions – Not to mention large, high quality professional networks! These champions are surrounded by people that they can call for quick advice, complex solving approaches or general support. They are respected, loved and an excellent support to others.
- Ownership & Pride Enthusiasts – Of the organizational brand and overall best interest of the organization with high work ethic and willingness to work hard going the extra mile. The best part is they are so eager to contribute, have a strong desire to lead and make a difference in anything they are associated with.
- Healthy Lifestyle Lovers – Beyond only professional athletes! Simply high performers are easy to spot in the office – they eat healthily, they integrate fitness in their daily practice, and they make things happen. They have the high drive and passion for work, life and people around them. They inspire greatness![/message]