Encourage, enable, and motivate every employee to take time out every few months to go and volunteer for a ’cause’. They are free to choose the cause but it must adhere to the following criteria:
1. No less than 1 day
2. Involve a vulnerable part of society
3. Be at the ‘front line’ of the cause
And why you may ask should an organisation do this? What value will it bring? What is the ROI?
This practice will ensure three critical outcomes:
1. Bring humanity and compassion to life throughout the organisation via tangible action.
2. Help people retain their sense of perspective, focus on their strengths and reach their potential.
3. Encourage people to judge less, listen more, share more, and therefore connect far more effectively with their colleagues.
The ROI – it’s priceless, simply priceless
People feel good about themselves when they can help others.
People thrive when they are in a community built on shared values.
People need meaning and a purpose.
It is within the gift of the organisation to enable all of this so let’s just do it!