I’ve heard this statement frequently, especially in recent months: “Because of The Times.”
In general, its context has been related to current events, business dynamics, social changes, political challenges, religious forces, leadership impacts, and relevant situations in the lives of individuals or groups of people.
A Single Profound Statement
It is interesting to consider the vast variety of human and social dynamics where a single profound statement so powerfully impacts outcomes.
Because of The Times:
• Individuals become willing to step out of their comfort zones, thus speaking out, moving out, and marching out for whatever change they believe in.
• Leaders arise from their familiar routines and step into more purposed roles, thus confronting the demands and seeking whatever change they believe in.
• Groups of people are energized beyond their norms, thus stretching the scope of their fields of service in efforts to impact whatever change they believe in.
• Organizations are challenged on numerous simultaneous fronts, thus thrust into different strategies in hopes of impacting whatever change they believe in.
• And sometimes, people, organizations, and nations move into chaotic, unruly, and disastrous dynamics “Because of The Times.”
Challenges and Progress Motivate
What is it about both challenges and progress that motivates people, leaders of organizations, and heads of nations to change “Because of The Times?”
Because of the times we live in (by reason of or due to the season, situations, and “what things are like”), the majority of people, organizations, and nations experience a broad spectrum of impact “because of the times.”
• There is often significant opportunity “because of the times.”
• With significant opportunity, there is often great challenge “because of the times.”
• Within great challenges are a myriad of possibilities “because of the times.”
• The myriad of possibilities are often laced with the bondage of fear, division, and dissent that says, “hold on and don’t change; it’s too risky.”
And, “because of the times” each of us, every organization, and every nation has tremendous choices to change or to remain stuck in old ruts of “playing it safe”, “doing it the way it has always been done” or “rattling on with the politically correct narrative” – all to the demise of growth, progress, and ultimate victory.
Accordingly, challenge and progress have a way of strangely co-existing “because of the times.” Whosoever grabs onto the balance between challenge and progress with a strong leadership perspective and courageousness – therein lies the opportunity to soar Because of The Times!
Monumental, Yet Basic Choices
So, can we fairly say that “Because of The Times” each person, each organization, and each nation has monumental, yet basic choices?
Is it fair to say that we, as individuals, can choose our responses, our attitudes, and our actions even amidst the realities of “because of the times?”
Focusing on individuals, if our responses, our attitudes, and our actions drive the outcomes of our lives (and they do), then how can we apply the impact of “because of the times” for our good and for the good of others?
• What if we faced down our fears and embraced the courage to pursue one dream, as opposed to going around the same mountain of familiar, but unfulfilling routines – in the face of “because of the times?”
• What if we insisted upon having the best interest of others at heart in one area, as opposed to insisting upon our will and our way in view of “because of the times?”
• What if we stood up for the genuine misfortunes of one person, as opposed to standing up for what is simply politically correct in the midst of “because of the times?”
• What if we searched out opportunities for one year that truly maximize our knowledge, skills, abilities, and experiences/ achievements, as opposed to holding tight to our familiar routines as we look upon “because of the times?”
• What if we persist in personal and professional excellence with the only one we can control (ourselves), as opposed to behaving with bad behavior from flawed character roots in spite of the impact of “because of the times?”
Wrapping Up “Because of The Times” Impact
If we, as individuals (especially individual leaders), focused on applying the impact of “because of the times” for our good and for the good of others – how would our responses, our attitudes, and our actions impact organizations and nations?
If we faced down personal fears, insisted on rightly caring for others, stood up for genuine injustices, searched out opportunities for true growth, and persisted in seeking excellence – what positive outcomes would reach beyond personal impacts and into organizational and national influence?
History proves that the responses, attitudes, and actions of one person can change lives individually, organizationally, and nationally. Remember these people:
Thomas Edison (1,000 failures before bringing light to the world)
Oprah Winfrey (From extreme poverty and abuse to great influence worldwide)
Walt Disney (Rejected and dejected, yet he persisted – still impacting millions with joy)
Helen Keller (Blind, yet possessed vision greater than many who can see)
Martin Luther King (In quietness and confidence was his strength, yet he was heard worldwide)
Ronald Reagan (In strength of leadership and kindness, he methodically changed the world)
Vincent Van Gough (Sold one painting in his lifetime, yet he is one of the world’s most renowned artists)
You (What summary phrase will be written in your parenthesis?)
“Because of The Times” you have the opportunity to change your world and leave a legacy that impacts others for generations to come. Or, “Because of The Times” you can choose to go around the same mountain of familiarity that is leading to numerous old paths and ruts.
“Because of The Times” there are monumental choices. What will you choose?
In the midst of a world where so many are disengaged, cynical and apathetic, isn’t it time for some fresh air? Isn't it time to join together in building a refreshing, new community founded upon “real” relationships, “real” thought leadership, and “authentic” engagement? NO Clutter. NO Spam. NO NO Fees. NO Promotions. NO Kidding. SIMPLY Pure Engagement Unplugged. ☕️ CLICK TO GRAB YOUR SEAT IN OUR NEW ENGAGE CAFÉ ☕️