Many of us have been educated to think that we need to take more than we can before other people can even take our part. But there is also another paradigm, which is based on the concept of community, according to which helping others, giving something of ourselves, is the way to achieve success and happiness. Furthermore, when we are busy helping others, we have less time to focus on what is bad in your life and we better appreciate what we have.
If we try to think of our life, to every person who was important to us, who gave us added value at some level, we will notice that the bond was very strong. Well, the closer the relationship we will be able to create with each other, the greater the contribution we will have in our lives. Adding value to others, in fact, is not only the key to success, but also to enjoy a fulfilling and satisfying life.
There are different ways to add value, that is, to commit ourselves to provide something really useful to those around us and the type of contribution is not important, but rather that what we give is authentic and without a second purpose.
- To give value to the lives of others we must, for example:
- Knowing and listening to the needs of the person to whom we refer, knowing the topics of which they love discussing, the interests, their needs.
- To think about what we have to offer to other people, what kind of skills, knowledge, resources, and connections that we can put to the benefit of others.
- To share our skills, teach someone to do something or do it better, without asking for anything in return. Sharing our knowledge freely when others ask. Lending our experience, skills, and knowledge by adding value to relationships. Helping people to be and / or become the best version of themselves, to see the potential they have inside and then encourage them not to give up or slow down. Helping them to reach their personal goals in an honest and sincere way.
- Focusing on others. The more we strive to contribute in a useful way to the life of the others, the more our happiness becomes tied to theirs. The more we focus on the added value we can give to the lives of others, the more our world expands. And as our world expands, our opportunities increase, which in turn brings greater value to our lives, generating success. Trying to find a solution for others we will find out unexpectedly that they will feel involved and will involve us in their projects. This will create a win-win relationship.
Sometimes, when we try to help others, we are afraid of failing or making a mistake that will make us lose face, thus diminishing our ability to add value. In reality it is the opposite. Failure and mistakes make us human! When others see the genuineness and vulnerability, we gain not only in credibility, but sharing the mistake, we help them not to commit it.
When we put ourselves in the perspective of giving value to others, we must avoid worrying about what comes back to us.
We must not think of adding value to the lives of others as an exchange or barter. Rather, let us consider it as an investment in the growth of a community. It is important to seize the opportunity to invest in others and their personal growth so that we can generate success with value creation.
Finally, let us remember that people need to know that what they are doing is valuable and is appreciated. Showing appreciation and recognition for what the other has achieved is a concrete way to give them value.