A big rig refers to a large semi-truck used in hauling freight. Big rigs are gigantic 18-wheeler trucks that travel very long distances to transport goods. The sizes of big rigs differ, usually ranging from 40 to 70 feet, making them extremely dangerous at higher speeds.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration reported that 4,237 truck accidents occurred in 2017 with semi-truck accidents as the most physically severe cases. For this reason, it is important to contact a big rig accident law firm if you or a loved one has been involved in a truck or trailer accident.
In this article, you will learn the important reasons you need to work with a big rig accident law firm to help resolve a legal case involving truck accidents.
- Specialized in Handling Big Rig Legal Cases
Hiring a big rig accident lawyer is a good decision because the person is well-trained in handling big rig accidents. Choose one who has years of experience and is currently working with a reputable law firm. An experienced lawyer can explain your legal options in better ways than a general legal practitioner.
Check the following important things you need to know about big rig accident cases:
- Injury: It’s reasonable to be afraid of big trucks because being involved in a big rig accident would mean higher risk of physical injury and death.
- Claim: If you find yourself in a big rig accident, expect that you’ll need to deal with more than physical injuries. It’s more complex to file a claim for a big rig accident than a car accident.
- Liability: Truck accidents are more complicated than car accidents because truck employers are also liable for their employee’s actions. For this reason, a claim must be filed against the trucking company or the employer who owns the big rig involved in the accident.
2. Familiarity With Big Rig Accident Evidence Big rig accident lawyers know the different circumstances and evidence required to strengthen a personal injury claim. Hiring a local attorney is even more beneficial because of the established network of connections and familiarity of the lawyer to local laws governing the area where the accident took place.
3. Strengthen Your Claim
If you’re involved in a truck accident, contact a lawyer with a strong track record in handling all types of truck accident cases involving truck driver error, drunk driving, distracted driving, improper loading, drowsy drivers, unsecured cargo, defective truck parts, and trucking company negligence.
Your big rig lawyer will conduct the following activities to help prove your claim:
- Conduct a thorough investigation to determine the real cause of accident and the party at fault.
- Interview potential witnesses and invite them to attend hearings.
- Prove the severity of your injuries by obtaining the right supporting evidence, such as medical certification, including laboratory and scan study results.
Talk to medical experts who can potentially witness in court to prove your injuries.
4. Deal With The Trucking And Insurance Company
You might be stressed and still recovering from your injuries caused by the big rig accident. During this time, it’s important to talk to a lawyer who’ll deal with the trucking company and the insurance company to ensure that you get immediate financial assistance without compromising the outcome of the case.
5. Obtain The Right Compensation
Not all cases should go to court. If the insurance company and the trucking company are willing to provide just compensation, then your case will easily get resolved. But, of course, you also have to know if the lawyer is ready to battle in court if ever the other party is not cooperating or only providing a very low amount of compensation.
A personal injury lawyer will ensure that you’ll be properly compensated for the following:
- Past and future hospitalization and other medical costs
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Lost income
- Property damage
- Lost earning capacity
- Punitive damages (egregious behavior of a trucking company)
Contacting a big rig lawyer is crucial if you or a loved one has been involved in a big truck or semi-trailer accident. Get your case resolved as soon as possible with the help of an experience personal injury lawyer who knows the ins and outs of local trucking and personal injury laws. Your lawyer will deal with both the employer of the truck driver and the insurance company to ensure you’ll be properly compensated for whatever injury and loss you sustained or for a death of a loved one.