by Izabela Lundberg, Columnist & Featured Contributor
[su_dropcap style=”flat”]W[/su_dropcap]E LIVE IN A GLOCAL ERA, where local, global, and virtual environments have merged. The glocal trends have effectively expanded into new, highly demanding leadership traits. We can’t look at day-to-day operations or project or team management through the old lens. Evidence of gloacal leadership is in everything we do and touch personally and professionally through our direct or virtual interactions.
For some people, networking can be exciting, fun, and exhilarating or it can equally produce feelings of dread, fear, and discomfort, especially speed networking or job interviewing. The choice is ours depending how we see the glocal impact on leadership and then act.
Demands for speed are not surprising beyond speed networking (to connect and make things happen fast) and as result we need to know how to drive desirable results faster, furiously, and financially rewarding. Are we connecting and engaging actively with people we are exposed to in person and virtually? If not, why?
In college I never realized the opportunities available to a pro athlete. I have been given the choice to meet all kinds of people, to travel and expand my financial capabilities, to get ideas and learn about life, to create the world apart from basketball.”
Let’s take a look at three insights on how to become a pro armed with leadership weapons:
- Act Like a Pro – Be authentically you! It is so important to keep in mind that what you project out in the office, with colleagues and clients, is a true representation of you; to not only earn initial trust but also to keep it. Did I mention meeting those deadlines and keeping your promises? Today, more than ever actions, initiatives, and follow-through are a real dealmaker or breaker.
If you are only demonstrating your leadership in public, you may want to rethink that. It is a path to trouble. Consistency within your executive presence and personal brand reveal your true character, integrity, and capacity to generate successful business partnerships, referrals, and lasting professional relationships.
- Look Like a Pro – Own your professional brand! Why? It is essential to create, promote, and maintain your brand that you truly want to promote. Today, glocal environments can and will expose you more than ever before. When owning your professional brand is done correctly, you can engage and influence others with your current and relevant skill set.
Professional appearance is big a part of the equation because you can’t bring and win your A Game in your B Suite. Executive presence is essential, especially if you’re aiming to deliver high power presentation. Exude that high power, high profile as a whole package.
- Network Like a Pro – Be more interested, than interesting! Listening is the key, but keep in mind the 70:30 rule: aim to give 70% of your attention and serving others before even thinking of you and your needs, with the remaining 30% dedicated to you and your needs. Please know that life is not just about what you do, it is also about how you serve others and how you give. Prepare yourself before you hit the floor and have an A Game networking goal or objective (in person or virtually) and get the party started with ethics above all. Once in a while you may find yourself in a networking situation that can progress quickly into blurred moral lines, don’t let it stop you from bringing your A game in this glocal environment.
Remember that your success lies in your follow-up, whether it is through LinkedIn with a personal note or sending requested or promised information via email. Deliver what you promised, genuinely connect with people, and be authentically unique you!